Sorry its taken me longer to get to my annual tradition of summarizing the things I’ve learned over the last year, but better late than never!
10. This was my busiest year for travel to date, here’s my top five favorite beers I tried on the road: Shiner Bock in Texas, anything from New Belgium Brewery in Colorado, Goose Island in Chicago, Abita’s Turbo Dog from New Orleans, and anything from the Great Dane Pub in Madison, Wisconsin.
9. I’ve been thinking about building a computer that has recorded statements from me on every subject imaginable so that when I someday die, people can ask the computer for my thoughts and I’d still live on. I then realized that this already happens with good parents anyways, I can hear my mom and dad’s voice constantly in my head whenever I need guidance.
8. On the beach in the Outer Banks, I decided to let a crab pinch my finger to teach my kids a lesson (I have no idea what lesson I was trying to teach them, possibly that their father was capable of extreme stupidity). The crab pinched my finger, the kids screamed, and I shook my hand violently trying to get it off. Winston finally disengaged the crab by throwing sand on it…lesson is that throwing sand on crab is a solution to release its pinch.
7. I deactivated my Facebook account this year, I don’t miss it a bit.
6. Two of my favorite tourist things I did this year were related to dead presidents: visiting the Ford Theater in Washington, DC and the spot of JFK’s assassination in Dallas. Honestly, if you’re ever in DC, go to the Ford Theater and then walk across the street to where Lincoln died after being shot, it’s powerful & free.
5. Jac was riding in a canoe I was paddling in Florida, I paddled it into a six foot alligator. Jac made it clear that I should not do that again moving forward.
4. Winston had his tonsils out this year, scariest moment of the year for me, but easily the best thing we did this year.
3. I learned so much driving in France, one thing of importance was that you can get photographed by gray boxes for speeding and then mailed speeding tickets. I did a lot of speeding before I found out about the gray boxes. Last week I received a letter from the rental car company in the mail, I was certain it was going to be a $1,000 bill for speeding tickets…fortunately, it was just a solicitation for me to join their loyalty program. Maybe I got lucky.
2. My favorite meals of the year: a cheeseburger at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia and a jumbo Chicago Hot Dog at Wrigley Field.
1. Still so saddened by by the amount of gun violence in America. Here’s a site that tracks gun violence since Sandy Hook:
812 people have been killed by guns since Sandy Hook, days after Sandy Hook a kid made threats and was arrested in Council Rock South, as much as I don’t want to do it, but I may have to nominate Jac for a political career.
Here’s a list of previous year end reviews: